More From W. E. B. Du Bois
- "The power of the ballot we need in sheer defense, else what shall save us from a second slavery?"
- "But what of black women?… I most sincerely doubt if any other race of women could have brought its fineness up through so devilish a fire."
- "A little less complaint and whining, and a little more dogged work and manly striving, would do us more credit than a thousand civil rights bills."
More In Education
- "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."― Calvin Coolidge
- "All provisions of federal, state or local law requiring or permitting discrimination in public education must yield."― Earl Warren
- "Modern education has devoted itself to the teaching of impudence, and then we complain that we can no longer control our mobs."― John Ruskin