More From W. E. B. Du Bois
- "A little less complaint and whining, and a little more dogged work and manly striving, would do us more credit than a thousand civil rights bills."
- "An American, a Negro… two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder."
- "The power of the ballot we need in sheer defense, else what shall save us from a second slavery?"
More In Education
- "Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education."― Mark Twain
- "If we had in this room a hundred teachers, good teachers from good schools, and asked them to define the word education, there would be very little general agreement."― William Glasser
- "We Americans have the great gifts of freedom and democracy, but it has been our education system that has fulfilled the promise of democracy."― James E. Rogers