More From Maya Angelou
- "Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness."
- "One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."
- "As far as I knew white women were never lonely, except in books. White men adored them, Black men desired them and Black women worked for them."
More In Famous
- "I’m not cut out to be a famous person; I can’t do my hair and makeup well enough."― Jennifer Weiner
- "Right now I’m the most famous silent movie actress in the world and I want to keep that for me. So I hope there’s not going to be any other silent movies."― Berenice Bejo
- "The gods conceal from men the happiness of death, that they may endure life."― Lucan