More From H. L. Mencken
- "Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time."
- "The opera is to music what a bawdy house is to a cathedral."
- "There are men so philosophical that they can see humor in their own toothaches. But there has never lived a man so philosophical that he could see the toothache in his own humor."
More In Government
- "As soon as the legitimate Lebanese government is convinced that the conditions have ripened and that Lebanon is able to maintain stability on its own… Then, the Syrian forces will return to their homeland."― Bashar al-Assad
- "When I design and wonder what the point is, I think of someone having a bad time in their life. Maybe they are sad and they wake up and put on something I have made and it makes them feel just a bit better. So, in that sense, fashion is a little help in the life of a person. But only a little."― Miuccia Prada
- "I almost forgot what it’s like to be proud of my government."― Edward Norton