More From H. L. Mencken
- "Poetry has done enough when it charms, but prose must also convince."
- "The worst government is often the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression."
- "Whenever a husband and wife begin to discuss their marriage they are giving evidence at a coroner’s inquest."
More In Government
- "And we’ve got to ask ourselves some very serious questions as to whether or not certain religious leaders, in terms of raising money – I hate to bring this up – are pushing hot buttons."― Tony Campolo
- "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy."― Thomas Jefferson
- "History tells us that America does best when the private sector is energetic and entrepreneurial and the government is attentive and engaged. Who among us, really, would, looking back, wish to edit out either sphere at the entire expense of the other?"― Jon Meacham