More From H. L. Mencken
- "It is not materialism that is the chief curse of the world, as pastors teach, but idealism. Men get into trouble by taking their visions and hallucinations too seriously."
- "No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."
- "Men have a much better time of it than women. For one thing, they marry later; for another thing, they die earlier."
More In Government
- "Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."― Franklin D. Roosevelt
- "Culture is the arts elevated to a set of beliefs."― Thomas Wolfe
- "Attending that Convention and talking with those people and many others convinced me that I should become a blogger in my efforts to reform the government and uphold the integrity of the Constitution and the laws made in furtherance thereof."― John Jay Hooker