More From H. L. Mencken
- "I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time."
- "Men have a much better time of it than women. For one thing, they marry later; for another thing, they die earlier."
- "Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn’t they’d be married too."
More In Government
- "But ours was intended to be a citizen government. It is what of, by and for the people means. And when our most important issue in California is the creation of jobs, I think it’s quite helpful to have someone in the U.S. Senate or in the governor’s seat who actually knows where jobs come from."― Carly Fiorina
- "There used to be this feeling under Eisenhower and Kennedy and Roosevelt and Truman that government was a solution. Trust in the presidency fell precipitously under Johnson – real lows. And it’s never come back. It’s a trend that, if you’re liberal, is really discouraging."― Robert Caro
- "No Government can be long secure without a formidable Opposition."― Benjamin Disraeli