More From Denis Diderot
- "Although a man may wear fine clothing, if he lives peacefully; and is good, self-possessed, has faith and is pure; and if he does not hurt any living being, he is a holy man."
- "Power acquired by violence is only a usurpation, and lasts only as long as the force of him who commands prevails over that of those who obey."
- "If there is one realm in which it is essential to be sublime, it is in wickedness. You spit on a petty thief, but you can’t deny a kind of respect for the great criminal."
More In Happiness
- "Happiness is your own treasure because it lies within you."― Prem Rawat
- "Could a government dare to set out with happiness as its goal? Now that there are accepted scientific proofs, it would be easy to audit the progress of national happiness annually, just as we monitor money and GDP."― Polly Toynbee
- "If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing."― Margaret Thatcher