More From Denis Diderot
- "If there is one realm in which it is essential to be sublime, it is in wickedness. You spit on a petty thief, but you can’t deny a kind of respect for the great criminal."
- "Disturbances in society are never more fearful than when those who are stirring up the trouble can use the pretext of religion to mask their true designs."
- "There are three principal means of acquiring knowledge… observation of nature, reflection, and experimentation. Observation collects facts; reflection combines them; experimentation verifies the result of that combination."
More In Nature
- "Man is by nature competitive, combative, ambitious, jealous, envious, and vengeful."― Arthur Keith
- "Every man wants a woman to appeal to his better side, his nobler instincts, and his higher nature – and another woman to help him forget them."― Helen Rowland
- "Human judges can show mercy. But against the laws of nature, there is no appeal."― Arthur C. Clarke