More From Alexander Payne
- "I mean, look, I love movies, not just the ones I make… In fact, I don’t like the movies I make very much."
- "The novel succeeds on terms exclusive to literature. A good film succeeds on terms exclusive to the cinema. That’s why so many bad novels can become good movies, like ‘Jaws’ or ‘The Godfather.’"
- "I get asked, ‘How can you have such failures in your films?’ Well, what else is life about? There’s some sense of constant failure in something. Humor gives you a distance from it."
More In Age
- "If youth knew; if age could."― Sigmund Freud
- "Not just in commerce but in the world of ideas too our age is putting on a veritable clearance sale. Everything can be had so dirt cheap that one begins to wonder whether in the end anyone will want to make a bid."― Soren Kierkegaard
- "I think it’s because it’s so different and it takes risks. Plus, it’s really smart humor. It gives the audience credit in terms of not needing to tell them when to laugh. I love that about the show. There’s no laugh track."― Sarah Chalke