More From Michael D. Higgins
- "I love our shared island, our shared Ireland and its core decency. I love it for its imagination and its celebration of the endless possibilities for our people."
- "The mandate I have received and for which I will speak with heart and head to implement over the next seven years had its four pillars – an inclusive citizenship, equality and participation and respect in a creative society creating an excellence in everything we Irish do."
- "I am delighted to be back home in Galway, the place I first came to as a 19-year-old in 1960. It’s here where my heart is and will forever be."
More In Leadership
- "I think most Americans understand that we went through a period in which American leadership was judged quite critically internationally."― Susan Rice
- "The President’s speech suggested to me that were we to follow his leadership, we will be in Iraq not for months, but for years. I also hope I am wrong on this."― Daniel Inouye
- "You watch television and see what’s going on on this debt ceiling issue. And what I consider to be a total lack of leadership from the President and nothing’s going to get fixed until the President himself steps up and wrangles both parties in Congress."― Steve Wynn