More From John Burroughs
- "Travel and society polish one, but a rolling stone gathers no moss, and a little moss is a good thing on a man."
- "The lure of the distant and the difficult is deceptive. The great opportunity is where you are."
- "I have discovered the secret of happiness – it is work, either with the hands or the head. The moment I have something to do, the draughts are open and my chimney draws, and I am happy."
More In Nature
- "What constitutes a real, live human being is more of a mystery than ever these days, and men each one of whom is a valuable, unique experiment on the part of nature are shot down wholesale."― Hermann Hesse
- "Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was."― Dag Hammarskjold
- "Life is the power that’s greater than I can ever comprehend. The way life runs through everything, even the tiniest elements of nature – that makes me humble."― Michael J. Fox