More From W. H. Auden
- "It’s a sad fact about our culture that a poet can earn much more money writing or talking about his art than he can by practicing it."
- "Learn from your dreams what you lack."
- "Choice of attention – to pay attention to this and ignore that – is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. In both cases, a man is responsible for his choice and must accept the consequences, whatever they may be."
More In Poetry
- "She was the Judy Garland of American poetry."― James Dickey
- "There is poetry even in prose, in all the great prose which is not merely utilitarian or didactic: there exist poets who write in prose or at least in more or less apparent prose; millions of poets write verses which have no connection with poetry."― Eugenio Montale
- "Any long work in which poetry is persistent, be it epic or drama or narrative, is really a succession of separate poetic experiences governed into a related whole by an energy distinct from that which evoked them."― John Drinkwater