More From W. H. Auden
- "It is a sad fact about our culture that a poet can earn much more money writing or talking about his art than he can by practicing it."
- "A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become."
- "Of all possible subjects, travel is the most difficult for an artist, as it is the easiest for a journalist."
More In Poetry
- "I think poetry has lost an awful lot of its muscle because nobody knows any. Nobody has to memorize poetry."― Peter Davison
- "I still read Donne, particularly his love poems."― Carol Ann Duffy
- "To know anything of a poet but his poetry is, so far as the poetry is concerned, to know something that may be entertaining, even delightful, but is certainly inessential."― John Drinkwater