More From Thomas Jefferson
- "It is our duty still to endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place, no matter by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. If our house be on fire, without inquiring whether it was fired from within or without, we must try to extinguish it."
- "I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive."
- "It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
More In Government
- "Do we talk about the dignity of work? Do we give our students any reason for believing it is worthwhile to sacrifice for their work because such sacrifices improve the psychological and mental health of the person who makes them?"― Sargent Shriver
- "We should be able to go to our government and get clear answers."― Wesley Snipes
- "The lies the government and media tell are amplifications of the lies we tell ourselves. To stop being conned, stop conning yourself."― James Wolcott