More From Lewis Thomas
- "Medical knowledge and technical savvy are biodegradable. The sort of medicine that was practiced in Boston or New York or Atlanta fifty years ago would be as strange to a medical student or intern today as the ceremonial dance of a !Kung San tribe would seem to a rock festival audience in Hackensack."
- "Very few recognize science as the high adventure it really is, the wildest of all explorations ever taken by human beings, the chance to glimpse things never seen before, the shrewdest maneuver for discovering how the world works."
- "Our behavior toward each other is the strangest, most unpredictable, and most unaccountable of all the phenomena with which we are obliged to live. In all of nature, there is nothing so threatening to humanity as humanity itself."
More In Politics
- "I was raised to speak out about politics and the world around me. I would do it whether I was in the public or not. It is the way I was taught. The American way."― Judy Collins
- "Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we’ve been ignorant of their value."― R. Buckminster Fuller
- "I never played much golf as a kid. I caddied quite a bit but never got serious into golf until about age 15."― Lee Trevino