More From Lewis Thomas
- "Medical knowledge and technical savvy are biodegradable. The sort of medicine that was practiced in Boston or New York or Atlanta fifty years ago would be as strange to a medical student or intern today as the ceremonial dance of a !Kung San tribe would seem to a rock festival audience in Hackensack."
- "We habitually engage in meddling with nature. Until this century most of this meddling was good. Witness the preservation of the European countryside. But since then we’ve smoked it up and littered it and dumped too much in too many waters. I don’t think it’s our privilege to behave this way."
- "I suggest that the introductory courses in science, at all levels from grade school through college, be radically revised. Leave the fundamentals, the so-called basics, aside for a while, and concentrate the attention of all students on the things that are not known."
More In Attitude
- "It’s tricky. I’ve never been standing at the top of the tree with tons of money thrown at me. I’ve never really had a profile. So in a way I have this ‘nothing to lose’ attitude."― Joel Edgerton
- "I really felt like I finally made it. Having your first fake pregnancy rumor. It was really awesome. I feel like it’s part of what happens in this business, but that’s a real one. That’s a cool one to get."― Lea Michele
- "I will keep smiling, be positive and never give up! I will give 100 percent each time I play. These are always my goals and my attitude."― Yani Tseng