More From Henry James
- "Life is a predicament which precedes death."
- "It takes a great deal of history to produce a little literature."
- "The face of nature and civilization in this our country is to a certain point a very sufficient literary field. But it will yield its secrets only to a really grasping imagination. To write well and worthily of American things one need even more than elsewhere to be a master."
More In Respect
- "The conqueror is regarded with awe; the wise man commands our respect; but it is only the benevolent man that wins our affection."― William Dean Howells
- "Coming out involves varying degrees of difficulty that are affected by class, race, religion, and geography."― Lance Loud
- "If we are not free, no one will respect us."― Abdul Kalam