More From George Orwell
- "Whatever is funny is subversive, every joke is ultimately a custard pie… a dirty joke is a sort of mental rebellion."
- "Mankind is not likely to salvage civilization unless he can evolve a system of good and evil which is independent of heaven and hell."
- "Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness."
More In Society
- "Society is one vast conspiracy for carving one into the kind of statue likes, and then placing it in the most convenient niche it has."― Randolph Bourne
- "Society is like the air, necessary to breathe but insufficient to live on."― George Santayana
- "Drama lives on conflict. If you’re trying to deal with social issues seriously, there’s no way of avoiding violence, which is so present in society."― Michael Haneke