More From Donald Rumsfeld
- "The Federal Government should be the last resort, not the first. Ask if a potential program is truly a federal responsibility or whether it can better be handled privately, by voluntary organizations, or by local or state governments."
- "Be yourself. Follow your instincts. Success depends, at least in part, on the ability to “carry it off.”"
- "You will launch many projects, but have time to finish only a few. So think, plan, develop, launch and tap good people to be responsible. Give them authority and hold them accountable. Trying to do too much yourself creates a bottleneck."
More In Leadership
- "My Dad died during the flu epidemic in 1918 when I was 4 years old. He left a lot of classical recordings behind that I began listening to at an early age, so he must have been a music lover."― Tom Glazer
- "Leadership is particularly necessary to ensure ready acceptance of the unfamiliar and that which is contrary to tradition."― Cyril Falls
- "The art of leadership… consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention."― Adolf Hitler