More From Ambrose Bierce
- "Beauty, n: the power by which a woman charms a lover and terrifies a husband."
- "Mayonnaise: One of the sauces which serve the French in place of a state religion."
- "Eloquence, n. The art of orally persuading fools that white is the color that it appears to be. It includes the gift of making any color appear white."
More In Hope
- "I have lived in the only decades I could have lived in, and hope to live through at least a few more."― Orson Scott Card
- "I don’t feel a lack of hope. It’s just disappointment that after all these years we’re still fighting meaningless wars for a handful of people."― Geezer Butler
- "But, actually, so many of the clerics that I’ve met, particularly the Church of England clerics, are people of such extraordinary smugness and arrogance and conceitedness who are extraordinarily presumptuous about the significance of their position in society."― Rowan Atkinson