More From Ambrose Bierce
- "Mayonnaise: One of the sauces which serve the French in place of a state religion."
- "Eulogy. Praise of a person who has either the advantages of wealth and power, or the consideration to be dead."
- "Land: A part of the earth’s surface, considered as property. The theory that land is property subject to private ownership and control is the foundation of modern society, and is eminently worthy of the superstructure."
More In Hope
- "The cause of my life has been to oppose superstition. It’s a battle you can’t hope to win – it’s a battle that’s going to go on forever. It’s part of the human condition."― Christopher Hitchens
- "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even… without any hope of doing it well."― Oliver Herford
- "Being an artist is a very long game. It is not a 10-year game. I hope I’ll be around making art when I’m 80."― Anish Kapoor