More From William O. Douglas
- "Free speech is not to be regulated like diseased cattle and impure butter. The audience that hissed yesterday may applaud today, even for the same performance."
- "We do not sit as a superlegislature to weigh the wisdom of legislation."
- "Tell the FBI that the kidnappers should pick out a judge that Nixon wants back."
More In History
- "In the history of the treatment of depression, there was the dunking stool, purging of the bowels of black bile, hoses, attempts to shock the patient. All of these represent hatred or aggression towards what depression represents in the patient."― James Hillman
- "In my view, far from deserving condemnation for their courageous reporting, the New York Times, the Washington Post and other newspapers should be commended for serving the purpose that the Founding Fathers saw so clearly."― Hugo Black
- "The true history of my administration will be written 50 years from now, and you and I will not be around to see it."― George W. Bush