More From William Howard Taft
- "A government is for the benefit of all the people."
- "No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people."
- "We live in a stage of politics, where legislators seem to regard the passage of laws as much more important than the results of their enforcement."
More In Politics
- "Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage."― Ambrose Bierce
- "If a politician murders his mother, the first response of the press or of his opponents will likely be not that it was a terrible thing to do, but rather that in a statement made six years before he had gone on record as being opposed to matricide."― Meg Greenfield
- "In politics, strangely enough, the best way to play your cards is to lay them face upwards on the table."― H. G. Wells