More From Thomas Carlyle
- "Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand."
- "I grow daily to honour facts more and more, and theory less and less. A fact, it seems to me, is a great thing; a sentence printed, if not by God, then at least by the Devil."
- "It were a real increase of human happiness, could all young men from the age of nineteen be covered under barrels, or rendered otherwise invisible; and there left to follow their lawful studies and callings, till they emerged, sadder and wiser, at the age of twenty-five."
More In Business
- "When in doubt, mumble; when in trouble, delegate; when in charge, ponder."― James H. Boren
- "The war is dreadful. It is the business of the artist to follow it home to the heart of the individual fighters – not to talk in armies and nations and numbers – but to track it home."― David Herbert Lawrence
- "Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness."― Stanislaw Lem