More From Shelby Foote
- "I’m crazy about Grant: his character, his nature, his science in fighting and everything else. But I don’t like the idea that he never accepted the blame for anything, always found someone else to blame for any mistake that was ever made, including blaming Prentiss for Shiloh."
- "I think making mistakes and discovering them for yourself is of great value, but to have someone else to point out your mistakes is a shortcut of the process."
- "I began the way nearly everybody I ever heard of – I began writing poetry. And I find that to be quite usual with writers, their trying their hand at poetry."
More In War
- "Does politics have to be injected into everything?"― Sargent Shriver
- "Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn’t give a hoot and hell for a man who lost and laughed. That’s why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war."― George S. Patton
- "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you."― William Hazlitt