More From Joseph Addison
- "Man is subject to innumerable pains and sorrows by the very condition of humanity, and yet, as if nature had not sown evils enough in life, we are continually adding grief to grief and aggravating the common calamity by our cruel treatment of one another."
- "If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius."
- "The chief ingredients in the composition of those qualities that gain esteem and praise, are good nature, truth, good sense, and good breeding."
More In Faith
- "I’ve spent the last 50 years or so steeping myself in the world’s religions, and I’ve done my homework. I’ve gone to each of the world’s eight great religions and sought out the most profound scholars I could find, and I’ve apprenticed myself to them and actually practiced each faith."― Huston Smith
- "The great act of faith is when a man decides he is not God."― Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "We like security: we like the pope to be infallible in matters of faith, and grave doctors to be so in moral questions so that we can feel reassured."― Blaise Pascal