More From John Updike
- "Writing criticism is to writing fiction and poetry as hugging the shore is to sailing in the open sea."
- "The essential support and encouragement comes from within, arising out of the mad notion that your society needs to know what only you can tell it."
- "What art offers is space – a certain breathing room for the spirit."
More In Experience
- "The things I was allowed to experience, the people I was able to call friends, teammates, mentors, coaches and opponents, the travel, all of it, are far more than anything I ever thought possible in my lifetime."― Curt Schilling
- "The experience of God, or in any case the possibility of experiencing God, is innate."― Alice Walker
- "The reward of suffering is experience."― Harry S. Truman