More From John Calvin
- "Is it faith to understand nothing, and merely submit your convictions implicitly to the Church?"
- "No man is excluded from calling upon God, the gate of salvation is set open unto all men: neither is there any other thing which keepeth us back from entering in, save only our own unbelief."
- "God preordained, for his own glory and the display of His attributes of mercy and justice, a part of the human race, without any merit of their own, to eternal salvation, and another part, in just punishment of their sin, to eternal damnation."
More In Intelligence
- "I mean enormous pressure was brought to bear – Valerie Amos, Lady Amos, went round Africa with people from our intelligence services trying to press them. I had to make sure that we didn’t promise a misuse of aid in a way that would be illegal."― Clare Short
- "It’s a funny old world."― Margaret Thatcher
- "Art owes its origin to Nature herself… this beautiful creation, the world, supplied the first model, while the original teacher was that divine intelligence which has not only made us superior to the other animals, but like God Himself, if I may venture to say it."― Giorgio Vasari