More From Jerry Saltz
- "Just as Pollock used the drip to meld process and product, Richter ‘found’ and used the smudge and the blur to ravish the eye, creating works of psychic and physical power."
- "In art, scandal is a false narrative, a smoke screen that camouflages rather than reveals. When we don’t know what we’re seeing, we overreact."
- "Art is for anyone. It just isn’t for everyone. Still, over the past decade, its audience has hugely grown, and that’s irked those outside the art world, who get irritated at things like incomprehensibility or money."
More In Art
- "A sculptor is a person who is interested in the shape of things, a poet in words, a musician by sounds."― Henry Moore
- "Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better."― Andre Gide
- "My art teacher in junior high was a very out gay man and a mentor to me."― Gus Van Sant