More From Jeffrey Eugenides
- "I approach writing female characters the same why I approach writing male characters. I never think I’m writing about women, I think I’m writing about one woman, one person. And I try to imagine what she is like, and endow her with a lot of my own thoughts and history."
- "Well, marriage doesn’t function in the way it used to in terms of deciding our fate, but it’s in our heads, and it determines a lot of our actions. Like, right now, if you think about gay marriage – and they just started having the first gay marriages in New York – it shows what a potent idea marriage remains for people."
- "A few years ago in Chicago, I rented an office, and I went there every day. For the most part I do work at home in an ugly room."
More In Experience
- "I would wish for any one of my colleagues to have the experience of working with Martin Scorsese once in their lifetime."― Daniel Day-Lewis
- "When I was 27 years old, I organized legal aid clinics to help low-income seniors. It was a life-altering experience."― Ron Wyden
- "All we need, really, is a change from a near frigid to a tropical attitude of mind."― Marjory Stoneman Douglas