More From James K. Polk
- "Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world."
- "Although… the Chief Magistrate must almost of necessity be chosen by a party and stand pledged to its principles and measures, yet in his official action he should not be the President of a party only, but of the whole people of the United States."
- "Well may the boldest fear and the wisest tremble when incurring responsibilities on which may depend our country’s peace and prosperity, and in some degree the hopes and happiness of the whole human family."
More In Great
- "We used to root for the Indians against the cavalry, because we didn’t think it was fair in the history books that when the cavalry won it was a great victory, and when the Indians won it was a massacre."― Dick Gregory
- "At sixty, I know little more about wisdom than I did at thirty, but I know a great deal more about folly."― Mason Cooley
- "To be great is to be misunderstood."― Ralph Waldo Emerson