More From James Buchan
- "What holds an Arab leader in power is a mixture of violence and prestige. Both President Assad and King Hussein were felt to have defended Arab interests against the world. That, in the end, is more important than what they wear on their head."
- "By pouring money and goods into devastated regions, foreign aid workers sometimes compound the disruption and debauch the survivors."
- "Nature is not simply a technical or economical resource, and human beings are not mere numbers. To suggest that one can somehow align all the squabbling institutions of science, environmental management, government and diplomacy in an alliance of convenience to regulate the global climate seems to me optimistic."
More In History
- "After all, when the world looks to America, they look to us because we are the most successful political and economic experiment in human history."― Condoleezza Rice
- "The positive testimony of history is that the State invariably had its origin in conquest and confiscation. No primitive State known to history originated in any other manner."― Albert J. Nock
- "Black people don’t have an accurate idea of their history, which has been either suppressed or distorted."― Kareem Abdul-Jabbar