More From James Buchan
- "Profits in business always depend on the rate of interest: the higher the interest, the higher the rate of profit required."
- "To give money to a woman – and here I must speak as a man – is to deny her special quality, her irreplaceability, and reduce her unique amiability to a commodity. Money takes away her name, while transforming her lover into a nameless customer of a market of appetites."
- "Of all the failed technologies that litter the onward march of science – steam carriages, zeppelins, armoured trains – none has been so catastrophic to prosperity as the last century’s attempt to generate electricity from nuclear fission."
More In History
- "So I really would like to see both parties respond to the poor with greater commitment. But I’ve got to tell you, the Democrats, I feel, are doing a better job in that respect than Republicans are."― Tony Campolo
- "The Carter Center has the only existing international taskforce on disease eradication. Which means a total elimination of a disease on the face of the Earth. In the history of the world, there’s only been one disease eradicated: smallpox. The second disease, I think, is gonna be guinea worm."― Jimmy Carter
- "One who comes to the Court must come to adore, not to protest. That’s the new gloss on the 1st Amendment."― William O. Douglas