More From Iain Duncan Smith
- "What we want to do is reform the welfare system in the way that Tony Blair talked about 13 years ago but never achieved – a system that was created for the days after the Second World War. That prize is now I think achievable."
- "The financial costs of family breakdown are incredibly high."
- "All too often, government’s response to social breakdown has been a classic case of ‘patching’ – a case of handing money out, containing problems and limiting the damage but, in doing so, supporting – even reinforcing – dysfunctional behaviour."
More In Politics
- "It is the belief that extremes and excesses of inequality must be reduced so that each person is free to fully develop his or her full potential. This is why we take precious time out of our lives and give it to politics."― Paul Wellstone
- "There’s a nastiness out there that wants to harm me with words. These are my enemies – the ideologues, the populists, the columnists who don’t like the fact that I take them on toe-to-toe. What I try to do is tell the truth. It’s not the coin of the realm in politics."― Ed Koch
- "This idea that once you get into politics… you are now signed up for lifelong duty being in elective office, makes a fundamental error – and that is believing that the only way you can hold progressive views and implement them is in elective office."― Matt Gonzalez