More From Herbert Read
- "It does not seem that the contradiction which exists between the aristocratic function of art and the democratic structure of modern society can ever be resolved."
- "The worth of a civilization or a culture is not valued in the terms of its material wealth or military power, but by the quality and achievements of its representative individuals – its philosophers, its poets and its artists."
- "These groups within a society can he distinguished according as to whether, like an army or an orchestra, they function as a single body; or whether they are united merely to defend their common interests and otherwise function as separate individuals."
More In Society
- "Society says that men need to be bigger and stronger, and they must protect their women and so on."― Carol Alt
- "But hey, when you live in Watts, you need a little smack to get by, you know what I mean? You need something soft and comfortable in your life, ’cause you’re not going to get it from what’s around you. And society isn’t going to give it to you."― Jerry Garcia
- "But, you know, they don’t enjoy the dinner hour together. It’s just not as much of a ritual at night and it’s interesting. I think the ritual is taking place perhaps more in the morning."― Katie Couric