More From Herbert Read
- "The farther a society progresses, the more clearly the individual becomes the antithesis of the group."
- "My own early experiences in war led me to suspect the value of discipline, even in that sphere where it is so often regarded as the first essential for success."
- "The point I am making is that in the more primitive forms of society the individual is merely a unit; in more developed forms of society he is an independent personality."
More In Experience
- "I’m always hoping for the nights that are inspired where you almost have an out of body experience."― Dave Brubeck
- "All partisan movements add to the fullness of our understanding of society as a whole. They never detract; or, in any case, one must not allow them to do so. Experience adds to experience."― Alice Walker
- "I don’t believe in the so-called Olympic spirit. I speak from personal experience. When China hosted the Games, it failed to include the people. The event was constructed without regard for their joy."― Ai Weiwei