More From Herbert Read
- "The assumption is that the right kind of society is an organic being not merely analogous to an organic being, but actually a living structure with appetites and digestions, instincts and passions, intelligence and reason."
- "I am not going to claim that modern anarchism has any direct relation to Roman jurisprudence; but I do claim that it has its basis in the laws of nature rather than in the state of nature."
- "The slave may be happy, but happiness is not enough."
More In Society
- "Some people strengthen the society just by being the kind of people they are."― John W. Gardner
- "In a civilized society, all crimes are likely to be sins, but most sins are not and ought not to be treated as crimes. Man’s ultimate responsibility is to God alone."― Geoffrey Fisher
- "Never believe people in this business who say they don’t read what’s written about them."― Ryan Seacrest