More From Herbert Read
- "It does not seem that the contradiction which exists between the aristocratic function of art and the democratic structure of modern society can ever be resolved."
- "Progress is measured by richness and intensity of experience – by a wider and deeper apprehension of the significance and scope of human existence."
- "The point I am making is that in the more primitive forms of society the individual is merely a unit; in more developed forms of society he is an independent personality."
More In Society
- "In December, I agreed to extend the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans because it was the only way I could prevent a tax hike on middle-class Americans. But we cannot afford $1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire in our society. We can’t afford it. And I refuse to renew them again."― Barack Obama
- "Even the most wretched individual of our present society could not exist and develop without the cumulative social efforts of countless generations."― Mikhail Bakunin
- "I believe we should work to end all racism in American society and staunchly defend the inherent rights of every person."― Rand Paul