More From Henry David Thoreau
- "If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen."
- "Our life is frittered away by detail… simplify, simplify."
- "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
More In Best
- "I am not a perfect servant. I am a public servant doing my best against the odds. As I develop and serve, be patient. God is not finished with me yet."― Jesse Jackson
- "One man’s ways may be as good as another’s, but we all like our own best."― Jane Austen
- "I believe we need to attract a new generation of the best and brightest to public service and I believe that government can be a source of inspiration, not degradation."― Andrew Cuomo