More From Henry David Thoreau
- "Those whom we can love, we can hate; to others we are indifferent."
- "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation."
- "How does it become a man to behave towards the American government today? I answer, that he cannot without disgrace be associated with it."
More In Respect
- "Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That’s how rich I want to be."― Rita Rudner
- "Terrorism can never be accepted. We must fight it together, with methods that do not compromise our respect for the rule of law and human rights, or are used as an excuse for others to do so."― Anna Lindh
- "That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong."― William J. H. Boetcker