More From Graham Greene
- "People talk about the courage of condemned men walking to the place of execution: sometimes it needs as much courage to walk with any kind of bearing towards another person’s habitual misery."
- "No human being can really understand another, and no one can arrange another’s happiness."
- "We are all of us resigned to death: it’s life we aren’t resigned to."
More In War
- "War has become a luxury that only small nations can afford."― Hannah Arendt
- "When I am finishing a picture, I hold some God-made object up to it – a rock, a flower, the branch of a tree or my hand – as a final test. If the painting stands up beside a thing man cannot make, the painting is authentic. If there’s a clash between the two, it’s bad art."― Marc Chagall
- "During the Cold War, we were interested because we were scared that Russia and the United States were going to go to war. We were scared that Russia was going to take over the world. Every country became a battleground."― Fareed Zakaria