More From George Santayana
- "Society is like the air, necessary to breathe but insufficient to live on."
- "An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world."
- "Each religion, by the help of more or less myth, which it takes more or less seriously, proposes some method of fortifying the human soul and enabling it to make its peace with its destiny."
More In Art
- "Every art and every inquiry, and similarly every action and choice, is thought to aim at some good; and for this reason the good has rightly been declared to be that at which all things aim."― Aristotle
- "Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest."― Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Time extracts various values from a painter’s work. When these values are exhausted the pictures are forgotten, and the more a picture has to give, the greater it is."― Henri Matisse