More From Garrett Hardin
- "Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons."
- "Moreover, the practical recommendations deduced from ecological principles threaten the vested interests of commerce; it is hardly surprising that the financial and political power created by these investments should be used sometimes to suppress environmental impact studies."
- "Indeed, our particular concept of private property, which deters us from exhausting the positive resources of the earth, favors pollution."
More In Environmental
- "My lens of choice was always the 35 mm. It was more environmental. You can’t come in closer with the 35 mm."― Annie Leibovitz
- "Federal elections happen every two years in this country. Presidential elections every four years. And four years just isn’t long enough to dismantle all the environmental laws we’ve got in this country."― Jared Diamond
- "We assume that everything’s becoming more efficient, and in an immediate sense that’s true; our lives are better in many ways. But that improvement has been gained through a massively inefficient use of natural resources."― Paul Hawken