More From Elihu Root
- "There is so much of good in human nature that men grow to like each other upon better acquaintance, and this points to another way in which we may strive to promote the peace of the world."
- "The limitation upon this mode of promoting peace lies in the fact that it consists in an appeal to the civilized side of man, while war is the product of forces proceeding from man’s original savage nature."
- "It is not uncommon in modern times to see governments straining every nerve to keep the peace, and the people whom they represent, with patriotic enthusiasm and resentment over real or fancied wrongs, urging them forward to war."
More In Men
- "The law will never make a man free; it is men who have got to make the law free."― Henry David Thoreau
- "Obsession is an attractive thing. People who are really, really interested and good at one thing and smart are attractive, if they’re men."― Meryl Streep
- "It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist."― Pierre Teilhard de Chardin