More From Edward Gibbon
- "Of the various forms of government which have prevailed in the world, an hereditary monarchy seems to present the fairest scope for ridicule."
- "The courage of a soldier is found to be the cheapest and most common quality of human nature."
- "History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind."
More In Friendship
- "One of the great things personally coming to Hawai’i is my friendship of Jim Nicholson."― Dan Fouts
- "The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it."― Hubert H. Humphrey
- "The dupe of friendship, and the fool of love; have I not reason to hate and to despise myself? Indeed I do; and chiefly for not having hated and despised the world enough."― William Hazlitt