More From E. L. Doctorow
- "One of the things I had to learn as a writer was to trust the act of writing. To put myself in the position of writing to find out what I was writing."
- "Like art and politics, gangsterism is a very important avenue of assimilation into society."
- "It’s like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."
More In Society
- "It’s about time that society accepts people for who they are."― Kesha
- "It is in Saudi Arabia’s best interest to allow women to fully participate in its society, and this includes the right to vote and run for office."― Barbara Boxer
- "Police in China can do whatever they want; after 81 days in arbitrary detention you clearly realise that they don’t have to obey their own laws. In a society like this there is no negotiation, no discussion, except to tell you that power can crush you any time they want – not only you, your whole family and all people like you."― Ai Weiwei