More From Denis Diderot
- "When superstition is allowed to perform the task of old age in dulling the human temperament, we can say goodbye to all excellence in poetry, in painting, and in music."
- "Only passions, great passions can elevate the soul to great things."
- "Although a man may wear fine clothing, if he lives peacefully; and is good, self-possessed, has faith and is pure; and if he does not hurt any living being, he is a holy man."
More In Death
- "Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms."― Che Guevara
- "Spare me the whispering, crowded room, the friends who come and gape and go, the ceremonious air of gloom – all, which makes death a hideous show."― Matthew Arnold
- "When we have lost everything, including hope, life becomes a disgrace, and death a duty."― W. C. Fields