More From Deborah Tannen
- "Each underestimates her own power and overestimates the other’s."
- "Communication is a continual balancing act, juggling the conflicting needs for intimacy and independence. To survive in the world, we have to act in concert with others, but to survive as ourselves, rather than simply as cogs in a wheel, we have to act alone."
- "The biggest mistake is believing there is one right way to listen, to talk, to have a conversation – or a relationship."
More In Women
- "I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."― Eddie Izzard
- "Those who have succeeded at anything and don’t mention luck are kidding themselves."― Larry King
- "I’m eating a lot of organic proteins and vegetables! Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet is my No. 1 priority because I’m nursing my daughter."― Lily Aldridge