More From Damien Hirst
- "In an artwork you’re always looking for artistic decisions, so an ashtray is perfect. An ashtray has got life and death."
- "I was taught to confront things you can’t avoid. Death is one of those things. To live in a society where you’re trying not to look at it is stupid because looking at death throws us back into life with more vigour and energy. The fact that flowers don’t last for ever makes them beautiful."
- "Since I was a child, death is definitely something that I think about every day. But I think that everybody does. You try and avoid it, but it’s such a big thing that you can’t."
More In Art
- "I was the least Pop of all the Pop artists."― Robert Indiana
- "Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."― Stephen Sondheim
- "Well, Art is Art, isn’t it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know."― Groucho Marx