More From Bertrand Russell
- "A sense of duty is useful in work but offensive in personal relations. People wish to be liked, not to be endured with patient resignation."
- "Next to enjoying ourselves, the next greatest pleasure consists in preventing others from enjoying themselves, or, more generally, in the acquisition of power."
- "Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."
More In Freedom
- "No people in history have ever survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves inoffensive to their enemies."― Dean Acheson
- "In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else."― Lee Iacocca
- "While I relish our warm months, winter forms our character and brings out our best."― Tom Allen