More From Amy Tan
- "I would find myself laughing and wondering where these ideas came from. You can call it imagination, I suppose. But I was grateful for wherever they came from."
- "No one in my family was a reader of literary fiction. So, I didn’t have encouragement, but I didn’t have discouragement, because I don’t think anybody knew what that meant."
- "I think I’ve always been somebody, since the deaths of my father and brother, who was afraid to hope. So, I was more prepared for failure and for rejection than for success."
More In Success
- "I was definitely incredibly close to my dad, in a way that was all-encompassing. I am close to my mum, too, but there were areas that she and I did not share. So his loss to me was huge, personally and professionally. He believed in me, not just as a father, but as a director, and that always meant a lot."― Natasha Richardson
- "Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a factor that decides between success and failure."― Edsger Dijkstra
- "But I think it’s more normal for my team to have no success than it is to win two consecutive European cups."― Jose Mourinho