More From Alfred Lord Tennyson
- "A smile abroad is often a scowl at home."
- "Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control; these three alone lead one to sovereign power."
- "No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not work those who work with him. Don’t knock your friends. Don’t knock your enemies. Don’t knock yourself."
More In Wisdom
- "Gray hairs are signs of wisdom if you hold your tongue, speak and they are but hairs, as in the young."― Rabindranath Tagore
- "Books are the ever burning lamps of accumulated wisdom."― George William Curtis
- "I’m someone who’s done the opposite of whatever the received wisdom is, to keep your career going into your 50s."― Elizabeth McGovern