More From William Hazlitt
- "Few things tend more to alienate friendship than a want of punctuality in our engagements. I have known the breach of a promise to dine or sup to break up more than one intimacy."
- "Defoe says that there were a hundred thousand country fellows in his time ready to fight to the death against popery, without knowing whether popery was a man or a horse."
- "To think ill of mankind and not wish ill to them, is perhaps the highest wisdom and virtue."
More In Power
- "Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."― George Orwell
- "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country."― Ambrose Bierce
- "TV has lost a lot of its self-confidence as its power has been eroded by the internet."― David Walliams