More From William Hazlitt
- "Do not keep on with a mockery of friendship after the substance is gone – but part, while you can part friends. Bury the carcass of friendship: it is not worth embalming."
- "Hope is the best possession. None are completely wretched but those who are without hope. Few are reduced so low as that."
- "The art of life is to know how to enjoy a little and to endure very much."
More In History
- "The Democrats co-opted the credit for the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But if you go back and look at the history, a larger percentage of Republicans voted for that than did Democrats. But a Democrat president signed it, so they co-opted credit for having passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965."― Herman Cain
- "Nixon in 1968, unlike Obama 2008, was elected as a minority president with only 43 percent of the vote. Yet, in 1972, he won what, in some measures, was the most lopsided election in American history with 61 percent."― John Podhoretz
- "Film is the manipulative medium par excellence. When you think back on the history of film and the 20th century, you see the propaganda that’s been made. So there are moral demands on the director to treat the spectators as seriously as he or she takes himself and not to see them merely as victims that can be manipulated to whatever ends they have."― Michael Haneke