More From William Hazlitt
- "Defoe says that there were a hundred thousand country fellows in his time ready to fight to the death against popery, without knowing whether popery was a man or a horse."
- "We are very much what others think of us. The reception our observations meet with gives us courage to proceed, or damps our efforts."
- "We do not see nature with our eyes, but with our understandings and our hearts."
More In Age
- "I don’t know whether it’s age or maturity, but I certainly find myself committed more and more to the looser forms of Western democracy at any price."― John le Carre
- "Young men soon give, and soon forget, affronts; old age is slow in both."― Joseph Addison
- "I think we ought to raise the age at which juveniles can have a gun."― George W. Bush